Application and Selection Process
Before uploading a scan or photo of your documents, make sure these are visible:
- Your name
- Date(s) showing the time frame for your enrollment in a public assistance program or for your proof of income
The Harris County funds will be distributed in two rounds. Any Harris County resident who has not already applied for Harris County-funded COVID-19 assistance is able to apply at the beginning of Round 2. Learn more about the process.
If You’re Selected to Apply, You Will Need These Documents for the Application (See examples)
The application process at minimum will consist of collecting and reviewing the following applicant information:
- Applicant Demographics (Name, Address, Birthdate, Veteran Status)
- Valid form of identification
- Documentation of adverse economic impact due to the COVID-19 impact: discharge/lay-off letter, workforce print out or letter from healthcare provider, notice of business closure on employer website, or self-certification form if other verifying documents are not available.
- Documentation showing that household Income is at or below 60% HUD Area Median Family Income (HAMFI) at time of application (if eligible via HAMFI requirement)
- Documentation can include copies of recent pay stubs, 2019 tax return, or other forms deemed acceptable by County & program administrator
- Documentation verifying participation in a qualifying public assistance program
As applications are approved, selected applicants will be required to provide at least one form of additional documentation that illustrates their need for assistance such as an unpaid rent or mortgage statement, unpaid utility bill, or another form of documentation deemed appropriate by the program administrator and Harris County.
The Selection Process
- Since September 29, applicants are being randomly selected from the pool of applicants who applied for help, but did not receive any, from the Harris County COVID-19 Relief Fund direct assistance program, conducted earlier this summer.
- Catholic Charities will receive the names, then review all applications for eligibility, work with those applicants to get the proper documentation within a short time frame, then process payment for those that are approved.
If you are not in this group and live in Harris County, you will be able to apply during Round 2.
- Beginning November 2, any eligible household in Harris County may apply online for a period of five days (through November 6). After the five days, new applications will be combined with a pool that includes:
- Applicants who applied for help, but did not receive any, from the Harris County COVID-19 Relief Fund direct assistance program, conducted earlier this summer.
- Applicants will be randomly selected from the combined pool of applications.
- All applicants will receive a message letting them know that their application is received, and another message to let them know whether they have been selected to move on for review.
- If your application is selected, you will be notified and given an opportunity to ensure all needed documents are complete.
- Catholic Charities will review all selected applications for eligibility, work with those applicants to get the proper documentation within a short time frame, then process payment for those that are approved.